The contents of the blog are mine personally and do not reflect any positions of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.







Sunday, August 12, 2012

I DO


  I sit here counting the remaining time of my service on two hands, thinking how in the world did I get here and what am I doing.  Over two years ago, I made a conscious decision to join the Peace Corps via a pop-up while studying for the GMAT. I don’t regret my decision at all; I’m not a good test taker anyways.  I knew I would be leaving behind a lot but I also knew I would be gaining a lot.  During the months prior to my departure, reading blogs, deciding what to pack and talking to local RPCV’s I realized I’d be living thousands of miles away from everything that I was familiar with, friends, family, my car, Friday night drinks after work and my pillow top mattress. Among all those wonderful things that did not initially cross my mind include peace and quiet, personal space, privacy, and anonymity. I wasn’t waking up to street dogs, tortillaring, crying children, herds of cows and marching bands at 4am. I was able to walk out of my house and not be questioned about why my hair is curly and if it can be touched, or why I am so tall or why my skin is the color it is. I could sit in my hotel room watching TV and eating my pizza peacefully without a little girl coming in and helping herself to a slice only to ask for some more for her friends minutes later, yes this really happened and no she did not get any for her friends. 
  When everything seems as if it could not get any worse I am reminded why I am here and that I willingly agreed to these challenges and disappointments, new relationships, excessive personal time, and most importantly diarrhea and other digestive related issues. My laundry lady doesn’t just wash my clothes, we talk, we laugh, but most of all I know she genuinely cares about me, why else would she be trying to find a husband for me. Sitting on my doorstep out of boredom has now turned into a small kids group of fun and games and occasional cookie baking. After enjoying a long walk to school only to find classes are canceled for a district wide soccer game delaying us yet another week, I see it as an opportunity to hang out with my students to talk about cultural differences and Facebook. And on those days that I just can’t trust my stomach in public, I see it as an opportunity to think back to what I ate the day before and catch up on my blog! Every volunteer has their own unique experience, and has their own perspective of their host country and service.  I know one day I will look back and cherish each waking moment I have in Guatemala. Some days are easier to get through than others thanks to our Peace Corps issued cell phones, comfort foods and Internet access. 

Hasta la Proxima

No comments:

Post a Comment