The contents of the blog are mine personally and do not reflect any positions of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.







Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Camioneta Chronicles


I have a love/hate relationship with transportation in Guatemala, everything from waiting for the bus, the mechanics of the bus, passengers, road conditions and the drivers and ayudantes.  All these things make the camioneta experience what it is. I had my share of traveling in September, it was nothing short of spectacular and eventful. So eventful that I have decided to write a series of entries on the amazingness of camionetas.

An average bus rides for me can range from 2.5 hours to the East and 3.5 to 6 hours to the West depending on my destination. The roads are extremely unpredictable, especially during rain season, making the ride that much more fun.  Potholes have become normal to me, its almost as though the drivers are laying frogger so be sure to hold on tight as they bob and weave on the road to avoid the pot holes bigger than your head. Every once in a while there are kids filling holes with dirt asking for a Quetzal from drivers for their hard work, I often wonder why some of these kids who appear to be as young as 7, are not in school learning instead of shoveling dirt into potholes. After days and nights of heavy rains it is very likely to hear of or see landslides and deteriorating roads, some can be fixed quickly and others take some time causing major detours through the back roads that are not used to being dominated by big buses all day long. 


I usually anticipate my travels pretty well and get to my destination in a timely manner, especially when I leave my site at 5:30am. The last few occasions have been particularly extraordinary. The first trip, the bus broke down about 30 minutes after leaving resulting in all the passengers getting off and hopping on the back of a pick up truck at 6AM for an hour and a half ride into the nearest town to catch another bus.
       Picture this: 15 men, women and children, a basket of chickens and a tire on the back of a pick up truck winding around a graveled mountainside dodging potholes, chuchos, chickens and cows through early morning fog. I give props to those who do this frequently; my tailbone was sore for a good two days or more.

After I caught the second bus I thought I was home free and the little set back was nothing, I was wrong. A short trip turned into a three and a half hour ordeal, you see the bus I got on was only going half way, ayudantes have a lovely way of collecting your money and then tell you when they get to their last stop that this is as far as they go and give you your change.  So, I had to get on another bus and then wait in traffic for almost two hours because a cement truck drove off the mountainside the night before. Amazingly the driver was fine and somehow someone managed to drive the truck away, only in Guatemala.

In the end a trip that on a normal day takes me 6 hours, took me 9 hours. Expect the unexpected when traveling.

Hasta la Próxima! 

No comments:

Post a Comment