The contents of the blog are mine personally and do not reflect any positions of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.







Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Giving Thanks


Sharing Tradition
 Thanksgiving is probably one of my favorite holidays. Its something about the autumn leaves, the smell of spices coming from the kitchen and gathering the whole family together to share things that we are thankful for. Times like these are tough being away from home but nonetheless these are the moments I will be thankful for next Thanksgiving.

In the middle of working on several different projects and not having the time to travel between filling out grant applications and conversations with the mayor, I decided to make Thanksgiving happen here in my site, thanks to my mom. She sent me a Thanksgiving care package packed with all the necessities to make an international Thanksgiving dinner, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, apple cider, pumpkin puree and a box of pumpkin cake mix.

Making Mac and Cheese
I invited my host family, friends, local counterpart and some families that I have become close to during my service to share this American holiday.  With the help of some little helpers we whipped up some Thanksgiving magic. We cooked green beans, mashed potatoes, sweet potato salad, macaroni and cheese, stuffing and what’s Thanksgiving dinner without cranberry sauce. The only thing that was missing was the…turkey. It’s ok because we enjoyed our vegetarian thanksgiving and had plenty of food to share. 


No comments:

Post a Comment